Saturday, September 27, 2014

Week 4

Research:
My focus this week was on research. One website I looked at was the Savannah College of Arts & Design's website (www.scad.edu/academics/programs/fashion). I watched their latest fashion show. I also signed up for the University of Fashion, an online university that offers free courses in design. I have a free membership, which allows me to access many video tutorials about draping, sewing, pattern making, fashion art, fashion business connections, and product development. Not all of these apply to me, but I can definitely use some help on draping, sewing, and pattern making. I have yet to start watching the videos. If you are interested in making an account, here the link: www.universityoffashion.com.

Mentor:
I'm excited that I officially have a mentor! Her name is Lyndonia McKenzie and she has her own clothing line. I met her over the summer and she has agreed to help me in my endeavor.

Project Runway:
This week I also watched many episodes of Project Runway, a competition TV show featuring emerging designers. When I watched it years ago, I did not realize how much work the designers had to put into each design. They make it look so easy. More and More, I am gaining a new found appreciation for the contenders on that show.

Future Plans:
Next week I plan to watch some videos on the University of Fashion website relating to pattern making. I will continue researching on some other sites as well. Last week, I wanted to start designing a junior's top, but I will need more knowledge (aka research) before I do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment