Saturday, September 20, 2014

Week 3

Sewing:
This week I made a simple dress. It wasn't hard since I only had to sew two lines. The struggle was in changing my dress idea. At first, I wanted to do a full-length, halterneck dress, but I realized that I did not have enough fabric to make it the length I wanted. The type of fabric also did not go well with this idea since the fabric was more breezy and fun than refined and elegant. In the end, I made a small, strapless dress. To make the full-length, halterneck dress, I need a different fabric (perhaps a future project?).

New Materials:
Unlike last week when it was hard to keep track of what to cut without marking on the clothes with marker, I used chalk this week. It's a huge improvement since I no longer have to worry about making permanent marks on the fabric. Also, I learned how to take measurements and apply them to deciding where to cut.

Learning:
A large part of my project is designing clothes, which means I need to learn how to draw fashion figures. I found a great website for this: www.collegefashion.net/college-life/how-to-make-fashion-sketches. Following the website's instructions, I drew some sketches this week.

How I'm Feeling:
I'm beginning to realize more and more that this project is a huge time commitment. Even a simple dress like the one I made this week will take hours. Although it is a lot of work, I am enjoying this project. Being able to make my own dresses is very satisfying.

Next Week:
For the upcoming week, I plan to begin designing a junior's top. I will need to do a lot of research before deciding on one design I like. As always, I will continue learning about designing clothes and sewing them.




No comments:

Post a Comment