Saturday, September 13, 2014

Week 2

This week: Last week, I started a T-shirt and this week, I finished it. I dabbled in sewing, which is relatively straightforward and easy... if you don't get the line tangled. If you get the line tangled, as I learned, sewing can be a mess.

Plans: For a little while, I will be practicing how to cut and sew clothes. None of these clothes will be a part of the final project: the online store. I will spend a few more weeks learning the basics of making clothes. That way, I will have a good base to work from. Then, I will focus more on experimenting with different techniques. All throughout this project, I will continue to gain new knowledge about designing and making clothes. This journey has certainly just begun!

How I'm feeling: This project is a bit overwhelming at the moment. I'm beginning to realized just how much work this project is. One of the greatest challenges I will face is measurements. Before cutting out the clothes, I will need to make sure the proportions are right. This might be easier if I had drafting paper that I could trace shapes on or a mannequin that I can drape cloth over. For now, I will just be using an dry erase board to mark shapes and lines. Despite these issues, I still feel quite optimistic about the project. Now that I know more about cutting and sewing clothes, I feel like I am beginning to gain the skills necessary to complete the project. An online clothing store isn't some random dream anymore, but a possibility (even if it requires a bit of work).

Next week: I will try to find a mentor. I'm considering someone I met over the summer who has her own clothing line. Also, I will continue researching. This time, I'll be focusing on making a skirt or dress.

No comments:

Post a Comment