Saturday, October 4, 2014

Week 5

Research, research, research!
This week I continued researching. I learned about different types of collars:
  • a Peter Pan Collar, which is a type of "roll" collar 
  • a convertible collar, which can be worn either opened or closed 
  • a sailor collar, which is usually found in childrenswear 
YouTube Videos:
I also found some helpful YouTube videos that explain how to draw fashion figures very clearly. I watched a couple of ten-minute videos by Gloria titled "Fashion Design...Everything Starts with a Sketch." They explained how to begin by drawing lines for shoulders and hips as well as a central vertical line that captures the form. If the shoulder is shifted, so is the hip; however, if the shoulder is slanted, the hip is slanted the opposite way. These tips help me draw fashion figures more accurately.

Book Resource:
I looked through a book called Construction: Basics Fashion Design by Anette Fischer, which also contained information about drawing fashion figures. Another interesting thing I found in the book was fashion silhouettes through the ages.

Future Plans:
Next week, I will continue to explore this book as well as other resources to learn more about designing clothes.

How I feel:
I feel content with my project so far. I'm learning a lot about fashion design, although there is still a lot more to discover. One concern I have is that not all resources have the same information. Yes, that's the case for any subject on the internet, but it is especially true for clothing design. Everyone has their own perspectives on how a process should be done or how a piece should be made. There is not much of a standard, which is partly due to the vast number of amateurs who dabble in clothes making. As one of those amateurs, I have many options to choose from and try.


No comments:

Post a Comment